The objective is to deepen the minister's understanding and expression of the Christian faith and to equip him or her with the managerial skills needed in managing the church. The courses are designed to equip present and prospective church leaders with solid theological foundation coupled with well-grounded people management skills. A graduate with a Master of Divinity degree is well-prepared for higher graduate study with many possible specializations. Apart from the ministerial emphasis, the critical thinking skills and open perspective offered by this programme allows students to pursue professional degrees in a wide variety of fields such as counseling and education.
This MTh's integrated approach to biblical, theological, and practical studies enables the student to gain a holistic and Christ-centered understanding of the biblical story and its outworking in contemporary ministry.
The programme prepares students in all aspects of the Christian faith in order to enrich their own ministries, to present the gospel faithfully and creatively in rapidly changing world, and to accept the challenge of preparing others to do the same. Some students may choose the MTh program to enhance their academic qualifications for doctoral studies while others may opt for teaching appointments in theological institutions.
Applicants will have a four year Bachelor of Arts degree or its equivalent, from a recognized university with a grade point average of 3.00 or B in the courses taken in the major field in the last two years of undergraduate studies.
Students who have Master of Divinity degree from an accredited theological school or and appropriate honors degree from a recognized undergraduate programme may apply to complete a MTh in a minimum of one year study. Students with a major would do a minimum of 18 credit hours of courses plus a thesis. This assumes that in the MDiv all of the required core courses have been covered.
It is recommended to Biblical Studies students intending to enter PhD programmes that they have at least 12 credit hours of Biblical languages before enrollment in the MTh degree.
Mode of Application
Each candidate is expected to submit the following documents:
- Duly filled in Application Form - download from here.
- Certified copies of Bachelors Degree and other relevant certificates (include notarized English translations if the originals are not in the English language.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts embossed with the seal of the issuing university (include notarized English translations if the originals are not in the English language).
- Two filled and signed Referee Report forms, each with a recommendation letter attached. The recommendation shall be given by persons who are well acquainted with the applicant's work and studies and are in the position to judge the candidate's abilities to pursue a Master's degree.
- A personal resume/ CV in English.
- Two (2) passport size photographs.
The M.Th. program requires two years of full-time study or its equivalent. All courses and Thesis requirements must be completed within 5years of first acceptance as candidates for the M.Th. degree.
Specific Requirements Include:
- 60 credit hours of taught courses comprising core courses (48 credit hours) and electives (12 credit hours)
- M.Th. thesis: about 20,000 words with a viva voce.
- A GPA of 2.67 or better for graduation.
- A reading knowledge of a biblical language or languages appropriate to the area of specialization is required (if biblical studies focus).
Graduates of this programme are well prepared to seek employment in vocational counseling, guidance, in social services, pastoral ministries in the Christian Churches, teaching in educational institutions and administration, chaplaincies in prisons and hospitals. They also may pursue graduate education in areas such as Religious Studies, social work, Counseling or Administration.