Head of Department
Dr. Philip Engmann
The Church in Ghana is growing rapidly and there is need to train pastors and leaders to lead the Church and to teach God’s Word correctly so the Church can become mature in every good work and grounded in the Christian faith. There are many people in our country who are called to fulltime/par-time Christian ministry and need either formal or informal training so they can serve the church better.
Why You Must Study at Regent
Regent University provides training that prepares you to meet your ministerial goals and serve the church competently. Currently, the Department runs three formal programs: Bachelor of Theology with Management, Master of Theology and Master of Divinity all aimed towards preparing Christian leaders for effective and thriving ministries in the Church.
Our unique Bachelor of Theology with Management (Honours) program equips the student with solid theological and biblical foundation, acquire the requisite skills, have deeper understanding of God’s Word, the Christian faith and managerial skills needed to lead the Church. This program would EQUIP you to be an able teacher of the Word, give you good managerial and administrative skills that you need to manage efficiently God resources; both human and material entrusted to your care for building up the Body of Christ.
The Master of Divinity and the Master of Theology Programs are designed to prepare the students at an advance level to meet the current intellectual, and the modern and postmodern tendencies that confront the Church and society today. It also gives opportunity for students to engage in relevant research work and publications that would benefit the Church in Africa. The programmes have different concentrations- systematic theology, biblical studies, historical studies, practical theology and pastoral care and counseling and Pentecostal and charismatic studies- that can provide you with a career path for future academic pursuit and teaching.
The Theology Department is flexible. It can tailor –make a program and facilitate a training that would suit the ministerial needs of your church. If your denomination is interested in this program, you can contact the head of the Theology Department. We can offer both Certificate and diploma level courses that give solid biblical and theological foundations your Church leadership need to function and serve effectively.
We have flexible teaching schedule that might suit your particular situation. Lectures are held in the morning, evenings and weekends depending on the program and the students registered for each course.
Career Opportunities for You
There are many career opportunities for those who go through the program. You can be employed in a church, become a chaplain in schools, hospitals, prisons, and teach theology or religious studies in a college or university, counseling, and social work. The programmes open doors for those who are interested to further their education to pursue postgraduate degrees.
With our well experienced and international faculty, you will get the best theological education offered in the country. If you want a world class theological education, then come to Regent!
A. Admission Requirement for a certificate program: Applicants to our certificate programmes do not require any certificate for entry
B. Admission Requirement for a degree program:
Generally, five main categories of candidates are considered for admission to the Bachelor of Theology with Management Programme:
- Holders of General Certificate of Education (GCE) with Passes at credit level in five subjects (including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject) in the GCE Ordinary Level, and three passes at the GCE Advanced Level. Two of the Advanced Level passes must be grade 'D' or better and a pass in General Paper.
- Holders of the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) and the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) should have passes in core English, core Mathematics, core Science and three elective subjects, with an aggregate score of 24 or better for SSSCE and 36 or better for WASSCE.
- Mature Students must be at least 25 years old and pass the Mature Students Entrance Examination of General Paper, English Language and Mathematics, and a Special Paper and/or an interview.
- Holders of Diploma in Theology, Biblical Studies or Religious Studies from accredited institutions. Such candidates may apply to complete the B.Th. in a minimum of two years.
- Foreign Students must hold qualifications equivalent to those mentioned in (1) and (2) above and show evidence of proficiency in English.
C. Admission requirement for graduate applicants:
Entrance to the M. Div. or MTh programme requires a B.A. degree of at least Second Class Lower Division or its equivalent. Applicants with a Bachelors degree in an area other than theology or Religion must possess at least one year of experience in church related ministries in order to be considered for admission into the MDiv programme.